September 14th, 2021 – San Francisco Free Intro Class
Welcome to the SF Comedy College!
We appreciate your time and investment in yourself and us. The SFCC is the most attended stand up school in America. Here, you will find a vast network of comedians with varying levels of experience to befriend and assist you with every part of your comedic journey. Welcome to the world of stand-up comedy. It's not as scary as you may have made it up to be!
The foundation for comedy training at the SFCC is the beginner class and advanced class. The beginner class focuses on a technique that anyone can use to be funny. No experience is necessary to participate. The advanced course is group feedback and material development to assist in creating a killer act for public consumption. One on One training and the Semi-Pro classes are for the comedian who has progressed through the other levels and are serious about performing comedy professionally.
The Beginner Class (Technique)
We believe in educating you with solid stand up principles before putting you in front of an audience. Having a working knowledge of comedy fundamentals will put you years ahead of the 'competition.' The technique will put you in control in your early moments of stand-up performance and save you many of the painfully awkward moments that comedians without instruction experience. The group environment found in our beginner and advanced classes will help accelerate your unique material generation procedure and help you to deal with many of the fears you may have of speaking or performing in public. You now have a safe space for risking and failing before you get to the higher stake and sometimes low-end creepy comedy venues around the world.
Zoom Mic Time and Meetups
In addition to observing advanced classes, there is zoom mic time, writing sessions, material development, editorial support, and other meetups with SFCC students.
We won't attempt to teach our version of "Funny."
Everyone has a unique sense of humor. The SFCC is committed to teaching you many proven principles, techniques, and skills to perform competent stand-up shows. We will help take your sense of humor and assist you in integrating it with solid comedy principles. However, you will make all the creative choices for your act, and you alone will be responsible for your pace of material development and to practice your techniques in front of audiences.
We will offer you structured and organic material generation techniques, solid performance principles, elimination of stage fright methods, riffing, and improvisational skills….
Taught with an initial focus on writing techniques; 'Joke Diagram,' 'Joke Mine', and the 'Joke Prospector'. We will also explore other traditional (association lists, joke web) and non-traditional comedy development techniques (Organic, Ranting, Topical).). We'll learn bit construction, POVs, character development, riffing, and excellent performance with an emphasis on discovering likeability and crowd rapport. Our goal is to recreate your natural storytelling state and combine it with a unique joke structure.
Ultimately, you will decide the techniques that work best, and together in advanced classes, we will apply them for compelling and hilarious performance.
Details and what you'll receive:
- Six weeks starting Tuesdays Sept 21st 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM
- Comedy Workbook (SFCC Edition' Step by Step to Stand-up Comedy')
- Free Audits of Advanced Classes Tues/Wed/Thurs nights
- One year to make up any missed classes.
- SFCC Online Slack membership
- 2 MIN ONLINE Open Mic w/ teacher feedback - Bring 2 minutes of raw/refined material, work on your crowd work, and an SFCC teacher will provide feedback along with other comedians. This is a great way to test new material in preparation for class, practice techniques you’re learning in class, and overcome performance anxiety.
- FREE ONLINE Improv Class - Yes, we offer improv for FREE! It’s a great way to get you thinking on your feet, generate ideas for new material, and working with and in front of other comedians. #sfcc-free-improv
- The Weekly Funny - The Weekly Funny is a topical joke writing contest. Every (M, W, F) we post a headline and you write as many jokes as you can. Winners for each headline receive COMEDY BUCKS to put towards future classes. This is a great way to practice joke structure and sharpen your writing skills. #weekly-funny
- Material Development - Post individual jokes, or a full set in material development, and both our teachers and comedians will give you alternate setup/punch suggestions. This tool serves both the person who posts their material and those who add their ideas because we all have a unique perspective and ultimately learn from each other. All teacher/student feedback is suggestive - take it or leave it, it’s up to you!
- Editorial Support - Most of us need help to edit our material, less is more! If you only have five minutes to make an audience laugh, editorial support is your new best friend! Post your set, and a teacher/comedian will make edit suggestions, so you can fit in more punchlines, hold your audience’s attention, and ultimately get more laughs! All teacher/student feedback is suggestive - take it or leave it, it’s up to you!
- The Comedy Lab w/ Kurtis Matthews - Meet Kurtis ONLINE in the Comedy Lab every Tuesday from 4-5 pm to ask him anything you want about comedy, issues you may be having with joke writing, premise ideas, writing your set, personal goals, or life in general. He is there for you!
- Netflix Watching Group - A monthly discussion group, which selects a different Netflix comedy special to watch, then analyzes together as a group. #netflix-watching
- Coffee & Comedy Chat - A great way to get to know other comedians, discuss premises, open mics, performance issues, and life as we know it. This is NOT a performance group. Think of it as comedy theory and emotional support. #coffee-n-comedy
- Free Audits of Advanced Classes Tues/Wed/Thurs nights
The Advanced Class (Performance)
The SF advanced classes meet Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday nights. During an ordinary advanced session, there are four performance and material development classes, writing sessions, grad show, and a video review.
September 2021 Prices - TONIGHT ONLY
(Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Check, Cash, PayPal, Venmo)
6-week Beginner class $299/$269 before Intro Date
11-week Beginner ($299) and Advanced ($295) package includes public performance and dedicated act development focus. Advanced Sessions are offered online and in person. $485 (Reg price $594)
You may invest via the SFCC website, Paypal, Venmo or Square Link: https://bit.ly/2xgOURJ